In this post we are sharing the checklist we use in our Developing the Serve CPD. The checklist is part of the programme we use when developing the serve with our players and when we train coaches both in the UK and around the world. The checklist is an invaluable tool for helping coaches to evaluate the overarm throw as part of developing the serve.
To ensure consistency of teaching and provide the most benefit, we use the same teaching points when we practice the throw and when we practise the serve. Otherwise, players can struggle to apply what they’re learning and practising.
Download now: Developing the Serve Throwing Checklist
i2c’s philosophy for developing the serve
At inspire2coach we use a tactical approach to structuring serve coaching; it gives you great teaching points and provides you with strategies to get your players serving with a purpose. We highlight what’s required to serve effectively – clearly highlighting the changes at each stage in a player’s journey.
We’ve published a lot of articles and videos on developing the serve at all levels; from red ball to performance and adults. Below we’ve linked to some of our other articles and videos.
Tennis(24/7) articles and videos on developing the serve
- Throwing Checklist for Developing the Serve
- How to use vertical throwing to develop the serve
- You’re only as good as your second serve
- How to Correct the Ball Toss on the Serve by Taking the Player’s Weight Off the Back Foot
- Developing the Serve: a Case Study From Finland (video)
- 5 Ways to Develop the Serve from Red to Orange (Live Video)
- Orange Ball: 5 Ways to Develop the Serve (Video; 16:14 minutes)
- How to Fix for a Wobbly Ball Toss (video)
- i2c Quick Fix: Helping Players Understand Ball Toss Placement (video)
- How to develop the chopper grip while throwing (video)