We recently hosted a live Q&A session on the Importance of Parents in Their Child’s Tennis Journey. Our host Adam Wharf, the Head of Performance at inspire2coach, discusses:
- How all parents can support their child when playing tennis at any level
- How being a tennis parent is different from being a parent in other sports
- How much help can you give and when are you helping too much
Adam has an impressive coaching career spanning more than 15 years, including work with Nick Bollettieri and the LTA. This 25 minute session makes great listening for any tennis parent. It concludes with Adam’s take-away tips for all parents.
Key Take-aways for Coaches
These notes provide a brief reflection of learning for coaches.
- Parents and coaches take different roles in the players journey and that can change over time.
- There will be some milestones in the player’s journey that may trigger a change in parent’s role in their child’s tennis journey. Being alert to the way roles can change helps coaches and parents to understand each other better.
- Having a “contract” between the coach and the parent can help to ensure that there are no misunderstandings.
This quiz aims to support coaches and parents wishing to reflect on the key learnings from the session. The quiz is based on the discussion in the recorded session and only 2 attempts are permitted. The quiz is ungraded and results will be emailed to you upon completion.
You must be logged in to complete the quiz. Please login to continue.
More Guides for Tennis Parents
- How Much Tennis Should My Child Play?
- Dealing With Winning & Losing in Tennis
- Life Lessons Through Tennis
- Importance of Parents in Their Child’s Tennis Journey
- Think about tactics during the match warm up!
- What are the new LTA age groups?
- Underarm Server Drill
- 7 Parenting Behaviours That STOP Children From Being Successful
- Why you should engage kids in sport early
- 10 real benefits of watching tennis with children