This week’s star of Tennis that we’re celebrating is Cori (Coco) Gauff!
From the minute she defeated tennis star and five-time Wimbledon Champion, Venus Williams in the first round, we’ve been on the edge of our seats cheering Coco on! She has taken Wimbledon 2019 by storm – getting as far as round 16 in her first Wimbledon Championship.
Download a printable version of the Coco Gauff postcard here:Collectable Series: Coco Gauff Postcard
We share a few “fun facts” about Coco on our Coco Gauff, Stars of Tennis Postcard for your children to collect.
Fun number facts about Coco Gauff
- Coco started playing tennis when she was 6 years old.
- She was the second youngest player to win (#1) the Junior French Open.
- Coco’s current world singles ranking is 313. At the 2019 Wimbledon Championships she beat:
- Venus Williams, WTA ranking 44
- Magdalena Rybarikova, WTA ranking 139
- Polona Hercog, WTA ranking 60
- At the time of the 2019 Wimbledon Championships, Coco is 15 years old. That makes her the youngest player to qualify for the Tournament in the Open Era.
- In her match against Simona Halep she managed to get 70% of first serves in compared to Halep’s 66%.
Coco uses her racket to support issues dear to her heart
Since her Wimbledon success Coco has gained more than 200,000 followers on Instagram! Coco has said that she would like to use the visibility that success provides to raise awareness of issues that she believes are important. For instance, Coco’s Instagram bio features the hash-tag ‘#prayforsudan’ and a link to the Unicef article ‘Children killed, injured, detained and abused amid escalating violence and unrest in Sudan’.
Coco’s dad says,
I always told her when she was a kid, ‘you can change the world with your racket. So your voice becomes louder the more you can swing that racket and have success with it’.
Where to find more information about Coco Gauff
Gauff shares images from her tennis career and also to support her interests on her Instagram page @cocogauff .
The official place to find information about the top women’s players in the world is the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) website.
We also looked at articles written about Coco on the Wimbledon website and in the media:
Abulleil, R. 7/7/19 “Family Affair for History Making Gauff” on the Wimbledon website.
Tenbarge, K. 6/7/19 “Cori ‘Coco’ Gauff: What you should know about the 15-year-old who beat Venus Williams in the Wimbledon Grand Slam” Business Insider
More Collectable Kid’s Club Postcards
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Emma Raducanu
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Sofia Kenin Postcard
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Novak Djokovic Postcard
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Coco Gauff Postcard
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Johanna Konta Postcard
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Rafael Nadal Postcard
- Stars of Tennis, Collectable Series: Andy Murray Postcard