Get into action with the Bean Bag Rally – an activity you can easily do at home. You’ll need at least 2 people and a bean bag. If you don’t have a bean bag, read on for our tip on how to make one! You can also buy them cheaply from Amazon – search for “sport bean bag”. Click this text link to see some inexpensive ones in the UK.
- Develop rally skills and racket and ball control
- Build accuracy
- Learn to receive and hit the ball in different ways
Get set up for the Bean Bag RALLY
The equipment we’ve used is optional or can swapped out for something similar! Make do with what you’ve got. In the video clip below, to play Bean Bag Rally, Mark has set up:
- Two chairs – which are used to support our makeshift net.
- Bamboo stick – this serves as our net. A broom or mop handle would be just as good.
- Rackets – that’s not optional! You’ll need a racket.
- Bean bag – we don’t all have one of these at home so a great alternative is to get an old sock, fill it with dried grains – and seal it by hand-sewing it closed. You can use dried lentils, peas, kidney beans etc, but probably not rice because it tends to leak out!
- Hit forehand to forehand
- Rally backhand to backhand
- Alternate forehand and backhand
- For more than two players, pass the beanbag in a circle or a triangle
Make it competitive!
- Version 1: Record the rally length and score 1 point for whoever drops the bean bag. First person to 5 loses!
- Version 2: Score 1 point if you drop the bean bag – or hit it out. If you lose 2 points in a row you lose a point and/or have to do 5 push ups, jumping jacks or burpees! For those not sure what a burpee is – this YouTube video from Bowflex breaks this exercise down and shows you how to do them safely.
More activities to do at home
- Activities To Do At Home: Tin Court Tennis
- Activities To Do At Home: Red Ball Rally
- Activities To Do At Home: TABLE Tennis
- Activities To Do At Home: Bean Bag Rally
- Activities to Play at Home: Bin Shots
- Up & Volley Drill
- Activity to Play at Home: Duck Ponds
- Tennis for Kids to Practise at Home: High 5 Reactions