There are many fundamental principles that we can take for granted with older children, an understanding of competition is one of them! Although tots are aware of achievement and reward, they generally don’t understand competition. However, competition is an important part of sports as well as daily life and in our role as tennis coaches we play an important role in building this knowledge.
Our tots CPD course explains how to introduce tots to competition. We’ve distilled the lessons from the course into these 4 Guiding Principles for Introducing Competition to Tots.
Free coaching resource: Introducing Competition to Tots
Request the principles in a pdf download here!
The 4 Guiding Principles of Introducing Competition to Tots
|1. LET EVERYONE WIN||
Introduce competition where everyone can win.
|2. INDIVIDUAL TASKS FIRST||
Start with individual tasks then move to working together (pairs/teams) finally adding opposition.
|3. START SIMPLE||
Start simple, everybody loves to be good at something. Repeat and get players to challenge themselves.
|4. PROMOTE GOOD VALUES||
Promote good values by taking turns, sharing, working together, trying their best.
Other Tennis(24/7) resources relevant to tots tennis
- MEMBERS ONLY Tots Tennis: Floor Tennis! (video)
- MEMBERS ONLY Tots Tennis: Introducing Games to Tots (video)
- MEMBERS ONLY Parent’s Guide to Tennis for Tots GAMES TO PLAY AT HOME (Article)
- MEMBERS ONLY Parent’s Guide to Tennis for Tots STARTING TOTS TENNIS (Article)
- 4 Guiding Principles for Introducing Competition to Tots
- MEMBERS ONLY Tots CPD: How to Introduce Competition to Tots (video)
- MEMBERS ONLY Tots tennis: Warm ups, part 2 (video)
- Tots tennis: Warm ups, part 1 (video)
Revised and updated from our post dated April 21, 2017