Independent Learning Stream
Building Effective Parent/Coach Relationships
Tennis coaches and the parents of the players they work with, form one of the most important - and difficult - relationships in sport.
In this Independent Learning stream our expert coaches and contributors address the following issues:
- Building connections and relationships with parents
- Understanding the role of parents as stake-holders in children's tennis
- Importance of parents in their child's tennis journey
- Communicating effectively.
Step 1: LEARN
To complete this Independent Learning Stream, visit each of the posts below.
Step 2: RECAP
As you visit each of the posts ensure that you take note of the "Key Take-Aways for Coaches". These summarise the key points and are useful when you reflect on how you can interpret the content for use in your own activities.
The learning in this stream consists of four posts.
- The Importance of Parents in Their Child's Tennis Journey - In this audio clip Adam Wharf, the Head of Performance at inspire2coach discusses the Importance of Parents in Their Child's Tennis Journey.
- What we Learned From Parents and i2c Coaching Programmes - i2c Director Richard Marklow reveals what has proven most important to parents of kids in i2c tennis programmes at 35+ UK venues.
- 4 Tips For Building a Positive Relationship With Parents - Mark Tennant explains 4 tips that you can easily put in place to build a positive relationship with tennis parents.
- Who is Training Tennis Parents to Understand the Junior Tennis Programme - Tennis federations are investing to develop more junior players and coaches but who’s training tennis parents to understand what’s going on?
Step 3: REFLECT
The questions below help you to reflect on the learning by provided by the learning posts. Upon completion, your responses will be emailed to you.
UK coaches: By reflecting on the learning and completing the questions, as prescribed, you will have drafted the information that you will need to submit your Independent Learning to the LTA for CPD credits.
Independent Learning Stream: Reflections on the Parent/Coach Relationship
You must be logged in to complete the quiz. Please login to continue.
Step 4: SUBMIT (UK Coaches Only)
To earn CPD credits* for your learning you need to submit evidence of your learning to the LTA.
*Tennis 24/7 and inspire2coach do not guarantee that any work or learning will be recognised by the LTA or any other governing body. All resources are offered in good faith. Accepting evidence is entirely at the discretion of the LTA.