Topspinnerz Tennis Academy in Zimbabwe: Inspiring Through Tennis
by Collen Mhlanga
My name is Collen Mhlanga, I’m an LTA level 4 based in Warwickshire. I was born and raised in Zimbabwe, where my love of tennis began.
As a way of celebrating the joy that tennis has brought to my life, Topspinnerz Tennis Academy was born. Topspinnerz is a coaching programme, which began five years ago, based at Shiriyedenda Primary School in Harare, Zimbabwe. When the academy began, we could only manage to provide one coaching session per week. Now we are fortunate enough to provide up to five sessions per week, employing two full time coaches and teaching over 100 children.
Located in a very deprived area, most children attending Shiriyedenda Primary School have limited opportunities, and without Topspinnerz, would not have the chance to enjoy the game we all love. My passion for the project comes from my experience growing up in Zimbabwe, sharing the same narrow life prospects as these children. I understand what it feels like to be a child growing up in an area where you don’t know what tomorrow will bring, or how to change your situation. When I was introduced to tennis at school, I was not only given the chance to enjoy a sport, but opportunities and a direction for my life to take. Therefore, I know firsthand, that by providing sporting opportunities for these children, we are not only giving them the chance to have fun and the freedom to be a child, but instilling skills, perseverance and a zeal that they can carry with them in life, broadening their horizons and expanding their opportunities.
Topspinnerz continue to strive to provide further opportunities for our young people and are working towards; enabling juniors to compete around Africa; offering chances for players to train in Europe; training tennis leaders; and creating employment possibilities for coaches born out of Topspinnerz to continue to the cycle of the programme. We think the future looks bright, but we need your help to realise it.
How you can help
If you would like to support us in our mission to bring opportunities to children through tennis, we would love to hear from you.
- Contribute new and used equipment such as; rackets, tennis balls and mini nets.
- Donate tennis shoes, and clothes suitable for playing tennis in.
- Give the gift of your time by offering coaching sessions in Zimbabwe (when the pandemic is over)
Your support is life-changing, and the children of Shiriyedenda Primary School thank you.
Please visit our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Topspinnerz-Tennis-Academy-110612450461664/ or contact me on 07717057547 or email@example.com
More Posts by the Same Author
More Posts on Tennis 24/7
- How to Reduce Tight Hips in Tennis Players With a Simple Exercise
- Olivia Svensson: Going with your opportunities in tennis
- The Sweet Spot: Unleashing Potential in Tennis Coaches, Players & Parents
- A Great Match: Tennis and Beer!
- Resurrection of Hingham Tennis
- Mama said there’d be days like this
- Is There Conflict Between Player Transition and Retention?
- Living the Life (Tennis Style) – Playing at Monte Carlo
- Topspinnerz Tennis Academy in Zimbabwe: Inspiring Through Tennis
- Why Find Well-Being as a Tennis Player